How to make a referral


CHAS (Bristol) Housing Advice Service is now closed for advice and support until May 1st 2017, while we work through a backlog of cases and undertake recruitment. We will re-open for help and enquiries on May 2nd 2017.

If you need housing or housing-related advice, please contact one of the following:


Shelter: 0344 515 1430 or the National Housing Helpline 0808 800 4444

South West Law: (0117) 314 6400

Avon & Bristol Law Centre: (0117) 924 8662

Citizens Advice Bristol – Good Tenants’ Scheme: 0344 499 4718 or email:


How to make a referral for housing advice

As a small organisation with only one adviser it is best to phone first before making a referral – to check on our capacity and whether we are the best organisation to help. 

Where appropriate we will refer on to other organisations, especially if a solicitor is needed.  If we are unable to help with a particular issue we will always try to find another advice organisation that can.  We are always happy to discuss possible referrals and give secondary advice.  Where we give secondary advice we would ask that the referrer provide us with outcomes wherever possible.

We provide appointments at Avon & Bristol Law Centre (normally on a Thursday afternoon), but we can also go to other organisations to see clients there.

Telephone (0117) 935 1260 to make a referral.   If our adviser is not available there will be an answerphone message asking the caller to leave their name and contact details. Callers will be phoned back when our adviser is available.